Alun Cairns was appointed Secretary of State for Wales on 19 March 2016. He was elected as Conservative MP for the Vale of Glamorgan in May 2010 (re-elected 2017).
Alun attended the University of Wales and has a Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Wales and a Government Whip July 2014 to March 2016
- Appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State in the Wales Office 2014
- Elected as MP for the Vale of Glamorgan 2010
- Elected as Assembly Member to the Welsh Assembly 1999
Career outside politics
Before being elected to the Welsh Assembly, Alun worked for Lloyds Bank for more than 10 years, mostly in business development, with his last role in financial services compliance.
Alun lives in his constituency with his wife Emma, who runs her own small business, and their son Henri. His father was a welder in British Steel and his mother was a shop-keeper.
He enjoys running and has completed 4 London Marathons in aid of local charities and was the fastest MP to complete the 26 mile course in 2015.
- The Secretary of State is responsible for the overall strategic direction of the Wales Office.
- Responsibilities include:
- Overall Strategic Direction
- Constitutional and Electoral Issues
- Economy and Business
- Foreign Affairs
- Swansea City Deal / Tidal Lagoon
- North Wales Growth Deal / North Wales transport modernisation
- Exiting the EU